Sunday, 2 February 2014

My Story.

Now this will probably turn into a bit of a ramble so try and stay with me if you can. I have had a lot of people ask me about how I have lost my weight and to be honest with you I have changed so much about my diet and lifestyle I just don't know where to start.
I am doing my healthy eating top tips posts and will continue with those but I wanted to kind of give you a bit of over view of what my relationship with food was like, what I have changed and what I am doing to give you a bit of incite.

Before deciding to lose weight my eating habits were awful and looking back now I am actually disgusted by what I used to eat. I am a comfort eater, I always have been but I also used to hide what I ate due to the fact I was severely bullied at school, so much so that the kids used to throw food at me on the bus and tell me to eat it off the floor. This resulted in me not wanting to eat in front of people and its only been in the last few years that I will eat in public alone but even then I would feel very self concious.
You would think this would have the opposite effect on me but it actually just made me eat more but I used to just hide it because at the time I thought food would make me feel better. I suppose I was in someways what you called a secret eater though if I was comfortable in front of people then I didn't mind. My friends and family were aware of how much I could scoff in one go.

I wish I could tell you what changed in me but I literally just woke up one day and decided enough was enough and I didn't want be like this any more. I was the biggest I had ever been, a size 18 heading towards a 20 and I weighed 16stone 12lbs not something I would ever admit to the whole world before now. 
I had recently had my heart broken and I do think it was the kick up the bum I needed to make me look at my life and for the first time in my life instead of mopping and feeling depressed about it I took that energy and used to get where I am now. Like I said though, I don't know why this happened now.

To start the healthy eating I just began by cutting out all the chocolate, cake and crisps I was eating on a daily basis. I started serving my meals on a smaller plate so I didn't pile it so high with food. I made healthier choices at meal times as well as changing my snacks to fruit and veg. I also started using my fitness pal and wrote everything down that went into my mouth this was a big step for me, I had be really honest with myself with what I was eating.
Making food from scratch is a big thing, I rarely eat processed food any more. If I am making it I know what's going in it. I also plan ahead what I am eating and often make double the amount I need so I have a meal for the next day or I will freeze it for a day I am working late. Preparation is key! This also works when eating out, I look up the menu online and plan what I am going to have. This way I can't get distracted by other meals also I can fit the rest of my days meals round it.
lastly I measure out my food which I know some people hate to do but this is key for me not to overeat as if its on my plate it will end up in my mouth.

Over the 10 weeks leading up until Christmas the only sweet thing I let myself have was either an options hot chocolate or one of those rice cakes with a coating of chocolate on them. I started to read up about nutrition, about how refined sugar is actually worse for you than fat. (This is a whole other topic that I will go into another time) and I started to learn about what my body needed from food to function properly.
This made me realise that I had willpower and I could control what I ate, to begin with I was worried about having a piece of chocolate incase I just went crazy and ended up in old bad habits but I now have a good balance of 80% of the time I eat really well and 20% I let myself have treats and the not so good foods.

My energy levels have doubled since eating better, I no longer want to fall asleep at 2pm in the afternoon. I am rarely in a bad mood though it does happen, I am a woman after all. ;) I also don't feel hungry about an hour or two after I have had a meal. I can go between meals without snacking, though I do often have a piece of fruit or veg, especially if I am work but I definitely don't need it. 

Another thing is exercise. I started off by going for long walks with my dog everyday which he appreciates as much as I do. I then got myself two dumbbells, a hula hoop and a skipping rope. I started planning out different routines that I used to do every morning along with my walk. 
Now I am more confident I have joined the gym and I also go running and swimming. I have gone from someone who hated exercise to now loving it.
Noticing your body improving and getting stronger is a huge motivation which to begin with you don't think you will ever see but you do, you just have to stick at it.

My one bit of advice is to start slowly, change a few things at a time and let yourself get used to them before changing something else. If you change everything at once you will feel deprived and more likely to end up in your old bad habits.
It isn't easy and I have had days where I have really struggled but I tell you something it is so worth it. I have never felt so good about myself and my confidences is growing by the day.

Like I said at the beginning, this is a bit of a ramble but its the only way I can get as much as I can think of down. I want to try and do more posts where I go into detail about the things I have changed and do. I am no expert and what's worked for me might not work for someone else but I would love it if I could help just one person feel amazing as I do.

Thank you if you have got this far and a huge thank you to all of you who have supported me. Having a friends and family support me along the way has been the biggest help, especially on those tough days.

This is me at my biggest and me now at my smallest since my early teens. I weigh 13 stone 10 and I am a size 14. A healthy weight for my height is just under 11 stone and that's the higher end of the scale which I would like to get to but at the same time I love my curves and don't want to take it too far so I just take a week at a time. If I stopped now I'd be over the moon with how I look but I know I can lose a bit more and I would love to get into a size 12 pair of jeans. 

Thank you so much for reading, this was a tough post for me to write and I'm not completely sure how long I will keep it up for but I really wanted people to know that whatever your eating habits are, if you want to lose weight you really can. 

60 comments:

  1. Wow, you are one strong lady! You're doing incredibly well and this is so inspiring. I wish you all the best as you continue but you should be so so proud of yourself for what you've achieved x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You look incredible wish I had the determination you do xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really admire you for your whole weight loss journey. I've never been happy with my weight for my whole adult life yet I've only ever lost a stone at a time then put it straight back on and more. Thank you for taking us on your journey and being honest with us, I'm sure it will help so many people. Seeing your amazing results over the last few months certainly inspired me to have another go at losing weight, hopefully this time I will go all the way as I'm turning 30 next year and I would like to be happy by then! You have always been beautiful but you look so amazing and it's great seeing you become more confident and I'm loving your outfit posts. Keep up the hard work, I know you will get where you want to be :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Suzy, you have been a great support and I know you can do just as well with your weightloss journey. xx

      Delete
  4. Your strength and willpower is genuinely inspiring and you look incredible!
    Fab fab fab post, well done you!

    Chloe xo

    chloesway.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your strength and willpower is genuinely inspiring and you look amazing!
    Fab fab fab post, well done you!

    Chloe xo

    chloesway.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing lovely and congratulations on making such dramatic but very healthy changes in your life, something that will benefit for you forever. You look absolutely amazing. Keep up the good work x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so mcuh Andy. I always find you and jess inrpiring when you are talking about your healthy lifestyles. x

      Delete
  7. Bravo, Alice, bravo! Such an inspiration and thank you for sharing your story with us! Take care of your health and health will take care of you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you lovely. You have been a huge support. :) x

      Delete
  8. Great post lovely x You really are inspirational you've done so well and if I can do half as well as you have I'll be happy x You were beautiful then and now but you look so much happier in yourself and thats so important xxx Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. I know you can just as well as me lovely. x

      Delete
  9. Dammit it lost my comment x You are inspirational, you've done so well and if I can do half as well as you have I'll be happy. You were gorgeous before and your gorgeous now but I think what makes the difference is that you seems happier in yourself and thats whats important x thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great post and watching your journey on Instagram has been so amazing, it has really mad me look and thi twice x
    Beautyqueenuk xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have done so well and look amazing now x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! You go girl!!! :D

    http://lifebyemmy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go! You look great! You, are just as beautiful as before, but being healthy always makes you feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so ridiculously proud of you ! You've always been a beautiful woman but you're just shining with happiness now and letting that beauty come out. You're teaching me so much about sugar and nutrition too so thank you :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you so much Lily. Thank you for all your support, you have always been an amazing friend through the tough and good. love you. xxx

      Delete
  15. We'll done babe I know exactly how much it takes to write all this down as I am going through the crisis right now myself and just like I am starting off slowly by cutting out the bad foods wish me luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun. Good luck with your journey, I am here if you need anything. xx

      Delete
  16. You look amazing Alice, no wonder you've stuck with it. When you can see a difference in your body it definitely gives you the boot up the bum to keep it up, if I don't notice much of a difference after the first month or so I always think 'whats the point' then slip back into old habits.

    Love these posts and iI'm glad you feel better inside as well as looking great too.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much hun. Seeing your body change is the biggest motivation boost for sure. xx

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on losing so much weight and in such a healthy way! You look amazing and i know how hard it is to lose weight. I've been doing the same thing and totally changed my lifestyle to change my weight and have begun blogging about it recently as I'd love to think that someone could be helped by it.
    Seeing results is the biggest motivation but I've been struggling recently as I've plateaued for months even though I've eaten like a saint and exercised 5 times a week! I'm hoping with a new gym program I'll see some more results but i know that you just have to keep going even when things get a bit slow

    http://cosmeticsshoppingandintoxication.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely. I will definitely check out your posts, I love reading about other peoples journeys. Good luck. xx

      Delete
  18. JUst what I needed to read as I've been struggling with motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing story! hope you dont mind but i'm following you now :)
    Excited to read more from you!

    Carlie @ http://pugginawesome.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely and thank you for following. x

      Delete
  20. You look so amazing, well done!

    Love Emma xx

    www.collagemepretty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've done so well, well done. You look amazing!


    Claudia xx | Beauty and the Chic

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for your courage and generosity in sharing your story, this was truly inspirational and I'm sure will help many. Taking small steps and being consistent does sound critical, as well as preparation. The results really speak for themselves! I wish I could cut down on the amount of refined sugar I eat and be more conscious about my nutrition and eating less processed foods ... it's definitely an area that I really have room to improve on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely. I am sure you can imporve on it, best thing to do is to read as much as you can about it. :) x

      Delete
  23. Well done for having the courage to write this post and for making positive changes in your life :) I loved reading this post and following you on instagram encourages me to make positive changes too so thankyou :) youve done amazing well, kerp up the good work and I will look forward to seeing more posts :) Abbie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abbie. I am glad it has inspried you to make a few changes. :) xxx

      Delete
  24. Hi I've been following your weight loss on instagram and you've done so well! I'm also on a weight loss journey and lost around 8lb in 5 weeks. Keep going and congrats! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria and a big well done with your weight loss thats fantastic. xx

      Delete
  25. This is such a great post alice! so sorry to hear what you went through but you are looking great now! Those size 12s are in reach keep it up xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie. They really are, I can't wait to get there. :D xx

      Delete
  26. Just found your blog through a link on Suzy Hearts Beauty blog. Congratulations on your weight loss. I too have cut out processed food since new year and have lost. 23.8lbs. I know how daunting writing a post like this is because I wrote one this week too with pics. Eek! I wish you all the best in the rest of your weight loss journey and will follow it with interest. Take care, CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting :) x